Science for Peace Lecture Series: The Nuclear Age
VOW partner Science for Peace is hosting a winter lecture series at the University of Toronto
Invitation to a Series of Free Public Lectures on Public Health in a Nuclear Age
University College, U. of Toronto Rm 179, Wednesdays 4-6 pm.
Jan 7 through April 1, 2015
The following guest lecturers are experts who will address my undergraduate class in Health Studies at U of T on the topics covered in the syllabus. I will meet that class alone one hour weekly. Then we will go into a larger hall and hear the guest lecturers, where the general public is welcome to join us. Some members of the public may wish to read the assigned texts and videos, along with my students, so as to participate in the discussion with the guest lecturers during the one-hour question period that follows their one-hour lecture. Let me know if you want a copy of the course syllabus, which shows the weekly reading and video assignments.
Metta Spencer, Emeritus professor of sociology, U. of Toronto firstname.lastname@example.org
All are welcome. Bring a friend. Feel free to join the discussions with the speakers about these vital topics. I hope some concerned citizens will attend the whole series.
January 7, 2015: The Origins of Nuclear Science
- Lecturer: Marcin Kuzniak, Ph.D.
January 14: Radiation’s Health Effects
- Lecturer: Cathy Vakil, M.D.
January 21: Nuclear Fission and the Search For Defences
- Lecturer: Professor John Valleau, University Of Toronto
January 28: The Cold War and Nuclear Strategies
- Lecturer: Ambassador Marius Grinius
February 4: The Cuban Missile and Other Nuclear Crises
- Lecturer: Vinay Jindal, M.D.
February 11: Proliferation and Control Issues
- Lecturer: Cesar Jaramillo of Project Ploughshares
February 25: Rethinking Nuclear Weapons
- Lecturer: Ms. Martha Goodings
- Lecturer: Dr. Jeremy Whitlock, Atomic Energy of Canada
- Lecturer: Richard Denton, M.D. (Northern Ontario)
- Lecturer: Professor John Luxat, McMaster University
- Lecturer: Professor José Etcheverry, York University
- Lecturer: Neil Arya, M.D., McMaster University
To visit the Science for Peace website click here.