Prime Minister Designate Trudeau: VOW applauds your decision to withdraw from Syria
Dear Prime Minister Designate Trudeau;
Our congratulations on your election victory.
We applaud your decision to withdraw from Syria the six Canadian fighter jets. We strongly encourage you to re-align Canada’s responses to violent conflict, threats of war, and war with actions grounded in the United Nations – Chapter 6 of the UN Charter and the systematic application of Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security (2000.)
The unanimous adoption of Security Council Resolution 1325 recognizes that the inclusion of women in all aspects of peace building from conflict prevention to post-conflict reconstruction is now an obligation of states to implement. While tackling the new challenge of terrorism, we urge serious study and application of non-violence and, a commitment to engage with peace women to help find the ways forward.
Our twelve peace priorities:
1. Stop Canada’s bombing of Syria and Iraq and withdraw our troops from the Ukraine
2. Open our borders to more refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq
3. Sign and ratify the Arms Trade Treaty
4. Cancel the $15 billion General Dynamics Canada contract to send weapons to Saudi Arabia and instead invest in a strategy for green jobs and renewable energy
5. Stop the secretive $26 billion Canadian Surface Combatant program and instead build affordable housing and public transportation across the country
6. Reduce military spending and redirect funds to social and environmental needs
7. Implement the recommendations of the External Review into Sexual Misconduct and Harassment in the Canadian Armed Forces
8. Launch a public inquiry into Canada’s missing and murdered indigenous women and girls and create a national strategy to end gender-based violence
9. Hold a public inquiry into Canada’s complicity in the torture of Afghan detainees
10. Convene public consultations for a green paper on national defence and security and on the establishment of a Department of Peace
11. Advance the United Nations’ Security Council agenda on Women, Peace & Security
12. Show leadership in nuclear disarmament and host an international meeting on the proposed UN Nuclear Weapons Convention to abolish these weapons of mass destruction
Peace is the foundation for a just and sustainable society. We look forward to your support and working together for peace.