New Government: New Hope for Peace
Send your letter to our new Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau today.
Dear New Prime Minister Justin Trudeau,
Congratulations! Your success in the election this week gives us hope for Peace.
The Canadian Voice of Women for Peace is the country’s oldest, national peace organization. We are concerned about the rise of militarism in our communities, increased arms sales overseas, and Canadian Forces’ airstrikes in the Middle East. We want Canada to Make Space for Peace and to be a leader in diplomacy, international law, nonviolence and disarmament. This election, please pledge your support for our peace priorities and after the election work with us and other civil society organizations on implementing them.
Our twelve peace priorities:
1. Stop Canada’s bombing of Syria and Iraq and withdraw our troops from the Ukraine
2. Open our borders to more refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq
3. Sign and ratify the Arms Trade Treaty
4. Cancel the $15 billion General Dynamics Canada contract to send weapons to Saudi Arabia and instead invest in a strategy for green jobs and renewable energy
5. Stop the secretive $26 billion Canadian Surface Combatant program and instead build affordable housing and public transportation across the country
6. Reduce military spending and redirect funds to social and environmental needs
7. Implement the recommendations of the External Review into Sexual Misconduct and Harassment in the Canadian Armed Forces
8. Launch a public inquiry into Canada’s missing and murdered indigenous women and girls and create a national strategy to end gender-based violence
9. Hold a public inquiry into Canada’s complicity in the torture of Afghan detainees
10. Convene public consultations for a green paper on national defence and security and on the establishment of a Department of Peace
11. Advance the United Nations’ Security Council agenda on Women, Peace & Security
12. Show leadership in nuclear disarmament and host an international meeting on the proposed UN Nuclear Weapons Convention to abolish these weapons of mass destruction
Peace is the foundation for a just and sustainable society. We look forward to your support and working together for peace.