ADVISORY: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Hungry for Climate Leadership Heads for the Hill
ADVISORY: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Hungry for Climate Leadership Heads for the Hill
Climate Fast and Vigil on Parliament Hill, Sept 21 – October 2nd, 2012
Seven concerned citizens are calling on our politicians to act to change their current position on Canada’s environmental policies. We are asking our MPs to end fossil fuel subsidies, put a price on carbon, and develop a renewable energy plan for Canada.
9/19/2012 3:01:06 PM, Ottawa—a small grassroots environmental group, Hungry for Climate Leadership, heads for the nation’s capital. They are calling on MPs to act on global climate change. This 12 Day Fast and Vigil for Climate Justice will begin on Friday, September 21st on Parliament Hill with Indigenous Walker Raven Courtney opening the fast with a traditional blessing. The Fast and Vigil for Climate Change, supported by many well known NGO’s will coincide with the Annual Peace Festival in Ottawa. Hungry for Climate Leadership has the support of 25 NGOs, including the Council of Canadians and the Sierra Club. Fasters include the Co-Chair of Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, Lyn Adamson, Bangladeshi-Canadian Dewan Afzal, retired teacher Rita Bijons, Ken Billings, Sylvia Grady, Adriana Mugnatto-Hamu, and Betty Muir.
- WHAT: The first 12 Day Fast And Vigil for Climate Justice
- CANDLELIGHT VIGILS ON PARLIAMENT HILL – Sept 21, International Day of Peace, 7:30 pm and October 2nd, International Day of Non-violence 7:30 pm.
- WHEN: Friday, September 21st, 2012,9 a.m.-10 p.m.
- WHERE: Parliament Hill , Ottawa and online globally
- INTERVIEW OPS: Raven Courtney, Indigenous Walker for Eradicating Ecocide,Lyn Adamson, Co-Chair Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, all participants (profiles on website)
- PHOTO OPS: Evening Vigils, Informal live musical performances, Speakers, Offsite Events
- DOCUMENTARY WITH PANELISTS: Climate Refugees, Mark Fried, OXFAM, Sheila Petzold, Unitarian Service Committee and Paul Beckwith, University of Ottawa, Ottawa Main Public Library, Oct 1, 6 pm
- MOTHER EARTH – PROTECT OUR LIVING PLANET
FRIENDS HOUSE, 91 ½ FOURTH AVE. TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 25, 2012, 7 PM
Youth voices from Rio + 20 andDurban, Climate Fasters speak, Raven Courtney on the
Walk for Mother Earth, screening of SPOIL on the Great Bear Rainforest,Sharing Circle
- PROTECTING OUR OCEANS Film: Sea Change: Imagine a World Without Fish
FRIENDS HOUSE, 91 ½ FOURTH AVE. THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 27, 2012 – 7 PM, Sharing Circle
- CHANGING THE WORLD – why we must and how we can
FRIENDS HOUSE, 91 ½ FOURTH AVE.SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 29TH, 6 PM
Videos: Tipping Point:, Dr. James Hansen Why I must speak out on Climate Change and THE STORY OF CHANGE, FEATURE FILM: HOW TO BOIL A FROG, Sharing Circle
- MONDAY OCTOBER 1ST – 6 PM – OTTAWA PUBLIC LIBRARY
CLIMATE REFUGEES, Award-winning documentary and Panelists
“I’m here because my country will be ruined when the seas rise. We can stop this from happening and we must. We are calling on the government to act and so we invite everyone to join us at the Fast and Vigil for Climate Justice,” says Dewan S, Afzal – faster and organizer.
For media enquiries and event information, please contact:
- Lyn Adamson Tel: 416-731-6605
- Dewan Afzal Tel: 905- 302-9837